Here are some of the facts you should know!
- In the Summer 2019 a 200+ all male transitional shelter will open at 127-03 20th Avenue, College Point, NY 11356.
- A transitional shelter means the men living in this shelter will be returning from prison and drug rehabilitation facilities (Someone from DHS told us most of the residents will be from prison).
- A local business owner accidentally found out about the plan and shared the news with College Point’s Civic leader and local elected officials. If he had not uncovered this plan, the community would have only been notified 30 days prior to the shelter opening.
- We were told that Community Board 7, our Councilman, and our local civic group did not have to be a part of this decision.
- The city of NY will use our hard earned tax dollars to pay between $2000 – $4000. per man every month to stay at this shelter. This means a NON-PROFIT group will receive between 5 million & 9 million dollars a year. Did I say NON-PROFIT?
- DHS stated that all these men are from our community or surrounding communities. Really!?!?
- The shelter is located in the middle of all our schools, approximately 3000 students. The closest school is 2 blocks away and the furthest school is only 5 blocks away. The shelter is surround by 5 schools; 1 pre-k school, 2 elementary schools, 1 middle school, and an all girl’s Catholic high school.
- Half of College Point’s homeless population would not be eligible to use this shelter because they are women!
- Newly formed CP Residents’ Coalition has raised some money, but still needs more to pay for the lawyer that has been hired to sue DHS and NYC on behalf of the residents in College Point.
- We have had three protests and will definitely have more.
- We need donations!
- We need volunteers!
- We need the whole community to get involved!
For the full media release statement CLICK HERE